4.02.2008

instrumental ghosts... more

I want to quickly revisit the success of NIN's Ghosts I-IV experiment. First, this is more intriguing progress in the digital media world, which I wholeheartedly support. But NIN conjured the perfect storm with Ghosts and would never have had HALF of the success if they did this with 2007's LP - Year Zero. What made this experiment special (and the reason it grossed $1,619,420 after the first week) is the fact that it was unique. The release of Ghosts was a surprise, even for die-hard Spiral members. Furthermore, it was an uncharacteristic instrumental album with a total of 36 songs. Mr. Reznor also had purchasing options for every level of fan. From the $5 bargain MP3 download to the $300 Ultra-Deluxe Limited Edition Package. However, it's additionally perplexing that so many people bought the packages and CD options, when it was only a pre-order for May 1st (which was about 2 months away at the time).

Ghosts I-IV was a fantastic success and I'm happy to see it, both for NIN and the consumer. Plus, Trent has handled the overwhelmingly positive feedback tastefully, as always:

"We are all amazed at the reaction for what we assumed would be a quiet curiosity in the NIN catalog. My faith in all of you has been restored - let's all go have coffee somewhere (my treat)!"


I can't wait to see how the Ghosts film festival turns out, which could make this already memorable release, truly legendary.

No comments: