6.15.2007

InstruMETAL

Here is a countdown of the 10 best instrumental metal songs I’ve ever heard. The only reason I post this list is because it was the easiest music list I’ve ever tried to construct. This order is not open to much discussion as far as I’m concerned… however if there is a worthy contender I am not familiar with, please inform me. (I should note that I feel guilty and inaccurate since no Black Sabbath is on the list, but I'm not familiar enough with their work to do so.)

10. In Flames (Subterranean) – Timeless – This track is in the bottom spot only because of its duration. This is two minutes of the most delicately played guitar I’ve ever heard.

9. Darkest Hour (Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation) – Veritas, Aequitas – Not regarded as a band of great musicianship, but coming in at just under 13 minutes, this instrumental doesn’t give you moment to consider skipping to the next song.

8. In Flames (Whoracle) – Dialogue with the Stars – Another In Flames masterpiece that runs the gamut of emotions and techniques.

7. Dark Tranquillity (The Gallery) – Mine is the Grandeur – In the same vein as Timeless, Dark Tranquillity shows off their Gothenburg, sentimental side.

6. Metallica (Ride the Lightning) – The Call of Ktulu – Metallica had to be on the list, right? And though I don’t regard instrumental songs as their strong point, this dynamic tune entrances you throughout.

5. Iron Maiden (Killers) – Genghis Khan – I personally love the sound of the Killers album more than even Powerslave or Number of the Beast, and this instrumental rolls along nicely.

4. In Flames (Colony) – Man Made God – I know In Flames is dominating the list, but they just bring more instrumentals to the table at a higher quality than anyone else. Man Made God is unique in that it effortlessly combines all of the riffs and hooks of the entire album into one, making it a beautiful collage. I don’t know that any other band has attempted this, but the results are absolutely phenomenal.

3. Trivium (The Crusade) – The Crusade – I suppose it may be a bit early to reward this band with such a high ranking, however one should keep in mind that the title track of this album is an instrumental, so that should give you an idea of the intent of this record. The entire album is filled with breathtaking musicianship and is tainted only by sub-par lyrics, which don’t exist in this song.

2. In Flames (The Jester Race) – The Jester’s Dance – In Flames comes in at #2 with probably my favorite song of theirs. A fantastic mixture of clean and heavy guitar work from Jesper makes this the most enjoyable 2 minutes and 10 seconds of metal that I’ve experienced.

1. Van Halen (Van Halen) – Eruption – Seriously… how can the single best guitar solo EVER produced NOT be number one. Eddie has claimed not to be pleased with the result, however I am quite satisfied.

No comments: