6.05.2007

Music on the Brain

I know that everyone has songs that remind them of things… first love, last day of high school, playing Nascar98 at 3:00AM, movies, people, series finale of Seinfeld, Steelers kickoffs, etc. However, I’ve noticed that there are certain entire albums that make me think of specific events in my life. I’ll spare you all of the heartbreak/mushy stuff, but here are some albums that subconsciously make me think of these moments… for better or worse.

Metallica – Black album – Every damn song is super played-out for me since I listened to it for the majority of 7th and 8th grade, doing all of my homework on my bed with that album in this Discman (above).

The Offspring – Smash – Playing Final Fantasy VII on mute for however many hundreds of hours it took for me to beat that damn game. I was just getting into punk at that time and just recently saw The Offspring for the first time. Luckily for me, the best RPG of all time has one of the most boring soundtracks ever. And you can read the conversations on the screen, so there is no need to have the volume on. I’m sure you can imagine me alone in my room going at it with Sephiroth and chanting along “You stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker!” Also, for anyone who loves FFVII and hasn’t seen this… do it!

The Living End – s/t – National honor society field trip to NYC during Jr. year (HS). Listened to a lot of tunes on the long bus ride. I need to experience NYC again… that was too long ago.

Papa Roach – Infest – Driving around with Danny, Billy Joe, and Jimmy B during the summer of 2000. This album was a group fave to play in the Subsmarine along with Blink-182, Weezer, NWA, and DMX (if my memory serves me correctly). There was a lot of traveling between grad parties, playing basketball, performing various heists, mall trips, SNS, and much more. Great memories… some of the best.

Saves The Day – Through Being Cool – I listened (and sang along) to this CD for almost every combination of trips between NHT-Erie-Bradford. That was a lot of quality time in the Neon! The first time I made it to Bradford to see my ex’s folks, I lost my voice from singing along on the drive up. Embarrassing, but I guess I never had a 4 hour-long performance before.

2 comments:

The Lost William J said...

Many a comment need to be hear-ed about this post, the top 5 who did not make the countdown...
5) Tupac "all eyez on me", classic save it, and dunk contest music when we thought we were bad asses!
4) Bevery Hills Cop Soundtrack, The main song and flashdance were played so many times I do not think those two tracks work on that cd anymore
3) Coolio "Gansta Paradise" "You done shot Mr. Johnson at 3 a.m. playing pool in the basement ring a bell?
2) Any random angry rock/punk/deathmetal mix, come on you know the names dont act like you NEVER made us ALL listen to those horrid things!!!
1) This is a no brainer, "Eddie Murphy Live" Aunt Bunny, Mr. T gay, Uncle randy saying that aint good after towing the white van when it died by your house, and of course LISTING TO THAT LOUD ASS BOB MARLEY MUSIC!!!!!!

beekface said...

Good list, Billy... but unfortunately "Gansta's Paradise" doesn't get as many spins without you around.

And that is one of three criteria I used for the list:
1. The WHOLE album reminds me of a moment
2. A substantial amount of time has passed since the memory & frequent listening
3. I still listen to the album on occasion (believe it or not)

You do make some excellent references there though, and I deny none of them. Probably a couple of the classic "angry rock/punk/death metal" songs you refer to are Boy Sets Fire - "RISE! RISE! RISE!" and STRIFE - Blistered (aka "Eat small children!").