5.13.2007

France Pt. II – Paris and random comments on French (and such)

Paris is absolutely gorgeous. I went into this experience with somewhat low expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this beautiful, historic, impressive city. Everything (including the Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame, etc.) is much larger and more magnificent than I previously believed. I'd rather comment on specific places in Paris with pictures, so if anyone is interested, please see my album.

I will just finish this post by rambling off some random thoughts regarding France:

1. Not knowing French in France is an adventure. People really can’t (or are too bashful) to speak English. However, if you realize that YOU are the asshole and aren’t afraid to embarrass yourself, then it’s not so bad.

2. French drivers are absolutely out of their mind. The traffic systems are illogical and the drivers are kamikaze. I compare roundabout to being like a fight sequence out of a Chinese movie, but with cars. Where the combatants are ferociously flailing limbs, but barely miss each other. I have to pass through roundabout/automobile buzz saw when I walk to work everyday. It definitely keeps you on your tows!

3. What kind of European crackheads design the toys in Kinder Eggs? (see icon)

4. You can’t walk anywhere in Paris without seeing people wasting away the day at outdoor cafes.

5. How do some people stink so bad? Honestly, it’s inhuman! BBO!

6. I bought a pair of jeans while I was here. I cannot get my hands in my pockets.

7. I’ve been consuming unhealthy amounts of cheese, wine, and chocolate. The selection of cheese at the grocery store is ridiculous and impractical. The wine is usually around 4 bucks a bottle. yum!

8. French coffee. Delicious. I didn’t believe it would be the case, but my god it’s fantastic. Though small in portions, it packs a wallop, and smooth enough to drink black. Plus they generally enjoy it with some fine chocolate… which is definitely a custom I plan on continuing when I leave.

9. French people march home in hordes from bakeries with enormous French bread baguettes like they’re going to battle.

10. Every French person I’ve met has been exceedingly nice to me, and I’ve even made some friends along the way… but I’ll save that for another post.

4 comments:

J.D. Yamokoski said...

The jeans comment is priceless, 10/10. And yes the coffee we drink at school is tar. Good coffee is wonderful!

Unknown said...

How was the Drake's?????

Unknown said...

Wow! I love the combatant picture and Audra said she can't wait to see you in those new jeans of yours. You should rent a car and get some footage (in the way of video) of you getting in the mix at those intersections. The blog is exceeding my expectations and the photo album is great. You never got to the guy in the background in the photo album though. Were you talking about the biker dude? Really off the subject of France. Nikki, me, Filer, and Sohrab watched some highlights from Rug's wedding DVD. You without a doubt took the cake with your appearance when you got to leave them a message, talk about classic crazy Smars. We had to go back and watch it twice and all said we miss you and the random craziness you bring to our group.

Unknown said...

When I went to Buenos Aires I thought they drove like maniacs too. Maybe the US just has it down. Here's a link to the main drag in BA where people constantly are squeezing for position, especially when coming to a stoplight: http://magazine.continental.com/images/2005_dec/been_there/BeenThere_full_page.jpg