5.28.2007

Rome Debriefing

Last weekend I was in Rome. One of the most amazing experiences of my life. Rome is a super heavy tourism city, but not much of a functioning city beyond that. Almost everyone spoke English, and I probably met more Americans than Italians. As I did with Paris, I’ll just make some random comments about Rome and you can check out my photos if you like.

1. While I was in Rome for 3 days, I wound up taking about 450 pictures. I was amazed at this feat. And I probably need to get a better camera in the future, since my “No Flash” setting always comes out blurred. Only 2 things I didn’t take pictures of: the Sistine Chapel (since it’s forbidden) and tombs (because I just think that’s disrespectful).

2. Rome is closer to Disney World than a real city (and that’s not to take away from its 3000 years of history). All of the historical sites are gorgeous, but everything in between is pretty trashy. The metro is inconvenient at best, and there are guys selling fake Rolex’s and miniature Colosseums everywhere.

3. I break Rome into two categories: ruins and art/churches. To my amazement, I was more impressed with the art than Roman ruins. Michelangelo was freaking brilliant and had his hand in everything done in Rome during the Renaissance. But with the ruins… you really had to use your imagination to know what those rocks used to look like.

4. I met so many fun people in Rome. It was such a friendly, warm environment there. I’ve never met nearly as many people on vacations in the US as I did there.

5. Some of my favorite people I met while I was there was a crazy Scottish couple in an Irish pub. Tony bought me a few drinks, including some Highland Park 16yr… good man!

6. My favorite thing I ate in Italy was not pasta or wine… but gelati! Those things are so addicting… I had about 2 per day.

7. I am about 90% certain that I passed the keyboardist of Dark Tranquillity on the street near Circus Maximus.

8. I had dinner one night in Piazza Navona and there was a street performer who busted out a boom box and sang some stuff Three Tenor style! He was super impressive… very Italian.

9. My last night there, I had dinner with a couple of friends and we had this outstanding, cartoonish Italian waiter. Whatever stereotyped image you have in your head right now… he served me dinner. (that's not him.)

No comments: